Re: PITR Dead horse? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: PITR Dead horse?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, pgman@candle.pha.pa.us (Bruce Momjian) wrote:
> Austin Gonyou wrote:
>> As previously stated by Bruce I believe, the mindshare department needs
>> some work. For this, the PITR is a necessity, but also when comparing
>> features with other DBs that people and businesses are currently
>> familiar with.
>
> PITR is required to recover all data after total hardware failure.  It
> isn't just a mindshare issue.

One of the valuable "use cases" of PITR is in replication, and
correspondingly, one of the valuable "use cases" of replication is in
doing major version upgrades.

As a result, a _really valuable thing_ would be for the "PITR reader"
process to be able to read data from "more elderly" versions of
PostgreSQL.

That may not prove practical, but the more flexible it is, the more
useful it certainly is...
--
"cbbrowne","@","cbbrowne.com"
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/wp.html