Re: Performance features the 4th - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: Performance features the 4th
Date
Re: Performance features the 4th  (Jan Wieck <JanWieck@Yahoo.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, pgman@candle.pha.pa.us (Bruce Momjian) wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Jan Wieck <JanWieck@Yahoo.com> writes:
>> > As a matter of fact, people who have performance problems are likely to
>> > be the same who have upgrade problems. And as Gaetano pointed out
>> > correctly, we will see wildforms with one or the other feature applied.
>>
>> I'd believe that for patches of the size of my original VACUUM-delay
>> hack (or even a production-grade version of same, which'd probably be
>> 10x larger).  The kind of wholesale rewrite you are currently proposing
>> is much too large to consider folding back into 7.4.*, IMHO.
>
> What Jan could do is to have a 7.4 patch available that people can test,
> and he can improve it during the 7.5 development cycle with feedback
> from users.

The thing is, there are two patches that seem likely to be of
interest:
a) There's the ARC changes, which really feel like they are 7.5   development, not likely to be readily backportable;
b) On the other hand, a "simple delay" on the VACUUM seems likely   to be useful, and reasonably backportable.

And these are two quite different things, both of which may be worth
having.
--
wm(X,Y):-write(X),write('@'),write(Y). wm('cbbrowne','acm.org').
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/unix.html