Re: plperl vs plpgsql - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: plperl vs plpgsql
Date
List pgsql-performance
After takin a swig o' Arrakan spice grog, alex@meerkatsoft.com (Alex) belched out:
> i am thinking about swiching to plperl as it seems to me much more
> flexible and easier to create functions.
>
> what is the recommended PL for postgres? or which one is most widely
> used / most popular?
> is there a performance difference between plpgsql and plperl ?

If what you're trying to do is "munge text," pl/perl will be a whole
lot more suitable than pl/pgsql because it has a rich set of text
mungeing tools and string functions which pl/pgsql lacks.

If you intend to do a lot of work involving reading unmunged tuples
from this table and that, pl/pgsql provides a much more natural
syntax, and will probably be a bit faster as the query processor may
even be able to expand some of the actions, rather than needing to
treat Perl code as an "opaque blob."

I would definitely be inclined to use the more natural language for
the given task...
--
wm(X,Y):-write(X),write('@'),write(Y). wm('cbbrowne','acm.org').
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/internet.html

If you, a stranger, show up at the bar, walk up to the table, and ask
them to fax you a position paper, they'll tell you to call their
office in the morning and ask for a rate sheet." -- Miguel Cruz