Re: Thoughts on MySQL and InnoDB - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: Thoughts on MySQL and InnoDB
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
> Jan Wieck wrote:

>>> Well, reading the changelog history apparently they call 5.0.15
>>> from Oct.19th "Release", so all previous versions were Beta. I
>>> wonder how many MySQL 5.0 users are aware of that...
>> Er ... hmmmm ... so that means they have happy feature mucking
>> during BETA? This is unprofessional. BETA phase without feature
>> freeze ... what kind of hobby coders did they hire?
>
> I'd guess that it's less a feature of their technical team and more of
> the licencing model. The pressure to announce a new version tends to
> drive most companies. Even MS used to, although they seem to be doing
> the "semi-public beta status for two years" thing recently.

This particular sloppiness isn't something I'd attribute to that.

If I were to add Major New Functionality, I'd be keen on generating a
new major version.

The difference between 5.0.14 and 5.0.15 looks like it would warrant
at least a bump to 5.1.something, if not to 6.something.  You sort of
expect that minor releases have pretty much equivalent functionality.

Massive change should encourage publicizing it as more than just a
third level version number change, particularly if the
licensing/royalty model encouraged that...
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="gmail.com" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://linuxfinances.info/info/lisp.html