Re: [pgsql-pkg-debian] Re: We should not transition to apt.postgresql.org until we have a PPA - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Dimitri Fontaine
Subject Re: [pgsql-pkg-debian] Re: We should not transition to apt.postgresql.org until we have a PPA
Date
List pgsql-www
Hi,

Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> writes:
> I should also note that I'm *not* arguing that we should promote the
> installers over the platform native packaging; I'm arguing - as one of
> the few people that has had to deal with questions to webmaster@ from
> people confused about installing in the past - that we should not
> allow our installation instructions to become difficult or confusing
> for novice users again.

The novice users will use the default provided PostgreSQL on their
distro. That's 8.4.13 for squeeze, and 9.1 everywhere else, currently,
in debian, and something not that different in ubuntu.

  http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=postgresql
  http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=postgresql

The PGDG repository target audience is *not* novice users.

This service has been built for production users who know they want 9.2
on squeeze, or know they want to be able to upgrade from squeeze to
wheezy without having to upgrade from 8.4 to 9.1 at the very same time.

I think what we have now is really simple enough for those users, and as
Magnus I say that because a fair number of users are turning to me when
it's not simple enough, and they've stopped asking me any such questions
since we published the repository.

Now, I agree that when targetting the novice users out there, it could
be made simpler. Just let them install the default debian or ubuntu
provided version of PostgreSQL, you can not possibly provide simpler
installation than the OS provided one in those two ones. And when later
they realize the should know better, at this time the PGDG offer will
make about perfect sense for them.

Again, our target here is users who know they want 9.2 in squeeze and an
upgrade path to wheezy allowing them to stay on 9.2.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine