Re: [HACKERS] Readline use in trouble? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Readline use in trouble?
Date
Re: [HACKERS] Readline use in trouble?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: [HACKERS] Readline use in trouble?  (Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Here is something I read as part of the Alladin Ghostscript 6.0 beta
> release.  I must admit I don't understand the logic of the issue.  It
> seems the issue is that you can link non-GPL to GPL libraries, but you
> can't distribute the result.   Maybe it doesn't apply to us because we
> don't copyright our code.
>
> It seems to suggest that we could be prevented from distributing
> readline in the future.  Not sure though.
>
> It sounds like the old US crypto restriction where you couldn't
> distribute software that had hooks in it to add crypto.
>
> Removal of readline would certainly affect psql users.

    Now  the  time  has come that the FSF has grown that big that
    they try to redefine the meaning of "Free". Next  they  claim
    "Free" is their trademark :-(

    I  think  readline  isn't  our biggest problem. What about if
    they notice that our parser can only be compiled  when  using
    bison,  and  that  we  ship the generated output for the case
    someone doesn't has bison installed?

Jan