Re: [HACKERS] Re: Developers Globe (FINAL) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From jwieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: Developers Globe (FINAL)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> >     My first thought was a big truck on a road in the desert with
> >     some cirrus clouds in the sky and "PostgreSQL" written on the
> >     trailer.  Maybe some snow capped mountains in the background.
>
> Let me give you an idea.
>
> Instead of a truck, a freight train.
>
> You could have the engine with PostreSQL on the side, and the boxcars
> could have PostgreSQL keywords on it, like SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, RULE,
> etc.  The cars could trail off into the distance.
>
> Or you could picture a horseshoe curve, like we have in Pennsylvania.
> The curve does a 180 degree turn, like an upside-down U, so you see more
> of the train in the picture, with the engine on the left, and caboose on
> the right.  (I can show you a picture if that helps.)  You could put the
> name PostgreSQL on the mountain in the background of the curve too,
> again with keywords on the boxcars.
>
> You could even add a train to the bottom of the existing logo you have
> made, with perhaps objects in the hopper cars.  Would make a nice logo,
> and give it some movement.  Smoke trailing out of the engine, etc.
>
> Of course, being from Pennsylvania, USA, I have to recommend a train.

    Another nice idea - better than the truck.

    But  (I known that many of my sentences begin with but) - but
    I thought about all that during the wieckend without creating
    pictures.  And  I came to the conclusion that we make a major
    mistake actually.

    We are talking about some nice image for the WEB banner,  not
    about a LOGO.

    PostgreSQL  doesn't  have  a  logo.  There is a wide range of
    kinds of logos out in the world. Some  are  simple  graphics,
    some are self associative ways to instanciate something. Most
    car manufacturers use some simple graphic that  could  easily
    be  made  out of chrome (must be part of the concept) or with
    few colors:

      a lion (Peugeot)
      two upward pointing angles (Citroen)
      four circles (Audi)
      a circle in bavarian colors (BMW)
      a rhomb (Renault)
      a stylistic H (Honda)
      specially forms of stars (Chrysler, Mercedes)

    Most  of  them  have  interesting  shading  and  reflectional
    effects when made out of chrome.

    One  well  known  self  associative  thing is this: Write any
    combination of  three  capital  letters  in  horizontal  blue
    stripes.  What a brand!

    Free software products also have logos already. Remember this
    coloured feather, that little  cute  penguin  or  the  little
    devil.

    Except  for the last two (Linux and BSD), all these logos can
    be easily  drawn  in  any  pixel  editor  and  don't  need  a
    raytracer.  If we come up with such a thing, it might be easy
    to create a raytraced WEB banner image where this logo stands
    out. But thinking of the image first is bottom up.

    Another  advantage  having  such  a  logo  would be, that the
    banner image could change from time to time  without  loosing
    anything.  Only  that  the  logo  must  be subject of all the
    images.

    I like the coloured feather of Apache, because it  is  simple
    and  tells something about it. The message I see is "free and
    light".

    Sorry for taking us back to the start. But we  need  to  make
    the first step first.

Jan