Re: [HACKERS] Rules for 6.4 finished - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From jwieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Rules for 6.4 finished
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> >     Another topic is if we should create some more  system  views
> >     at  initdb  time.  I  would  find views telling ownership and
> >     other information readable instead of Oid's very  useful.  As
> >     for pg_rule and pg_view it would be possible to create a view
> >     that describes the definition of an  index  instead  of  some
> >     cryptic  numbers.  And  another  one  for  real  tables where
> >     indices and views are omitted would also be useful.
>
> Yes, these are good ideas.
>
> --
> Bruce Momjian                          |  830 Blythe Avenue

    I'm  running into some naming problems while doing so. Having
    pg_table, pg_view etc. as views lets a users assume  pg_index
    would  be one too where to get some information. But pg_index
    already exists.

    Should I name all of them pgv_... ?

    Other databases have many views starting with DBA or  SYS  on
    the  other  hand.  For now I'll start naming them pgv_..., we
    could rename them before applying the patch.

Jan