User can not more login - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michelle Konzack
Subject User can not more login
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello *,

I am searching for a weired error...  Since all users are working fine,
I was now root and done a 'su - postgresql' to create a new user with

createuser --password devel.debian
Shall the new user be allowed to create databases? (y/n) n
Shall the new user be allowed to create more new users? (y/n) n
Password:
CREATE USER

Now the weired thing is, that the new user is visible in

    /home/postgresql/data/global/1260

but not in

    /home/postgresql/data/global/pg_pwd

All other users are there...
Here I have the striped output of

SELECT * FROM pg_shadow ORDER BY usename;
     usename      | usesysid | usecreatedb | usesuper | usecatupd |               passwd                | valuntil |
useconfig

------------------+----------+-------------+----------+-----------+-------------------------------------+----------+-----------
 devel.debian     |      107 | f           | f        | f         |                                     |          |
 michelle.konzack |      100 | t           | t        | t         | mdXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX |          |
 omegasector      |      103 | f           | t        | t         | mdXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX |          |
 peer.janssen     |      102 | f           | f        | f         | mdXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX |          |
 pmc.omega        |      105 | f           | t        | t         | mdXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX |          |
 root             |      104 | f           | f        | f         | mdXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX |          |
 postgres         |        1 | t           | t        | t         |                                     |          |
 tamay.dogan      |      101 | t           | t        | t         | mdXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX |          |
(9 rows)

Hmm, it does not create the password, even if it had ask me for it...
And if I continue with

createdb --encoding=utf-8 --owner=devel.debian devel.debian
CREATE DATABASE

and the I use 'psql -l'

                List of databases
       Name       |      Owner       | Encoding
------------------+------------------+-----------
 devel.debian     | devel.debian     | UNICODE
 michelle.konzack | michelle.konzack | SQL_ASCII
 omegasector      | omegasector      | UNICODE
 peer.janssen     | peer.janssen     | UNICODE
 root             | root             | SQL_ASCII
 systemdb         | root             | SQL_ASCII
 template0        | postgres         | SQL_ASCII
 template1        | postgres         | SQL_ASCII
(9 rows)

In endeffect, if I try to login as $USER devel.debian with

psql devel.debian
Password:
psql: FATAL:  Password authentication failed for user "devel.debian"

How can this happen?
There is no difference between the user "debian.devel" or
"michelle.konzack" or any others...

It was realy weired, since I create the databases automaticaly from a
script while I create new SYSTEM users...  Now it fails.

The used database is

    psql (PostgreSQL) 7.4.7

    contains support for command-line editing

Greetings
    Michelle Konzack

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)