Re: PostgreSQL Naming Rules - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Kellerer
Subject Re: PostgreSQL Naming Rules
Date
List pgsql-general
Robert Buckley, 28.10.2011 12:49:
> according to this article
> http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=409471, the naming of
> tables, and fields is restricted to 63 characters and must start with
> an underscore or letter. Nothing is however said about in which
> character set.
>
> Am I allowed to name a table field < Änderung_1 >. The Ä is a german
> letter contained within the UTF8 character set.

It does work, but I have had some tools (JDBC based) that choked on those tables. And I had some troubles running
pg_dump/pg_restorewith those tables. But as I did that merely out of curiosity, I didn't bother to find a way on how to
dealwith them.

Thomas