Problem with the 9.1 one-click installer Windows7 64bit - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Kellerer
Subject Problem with the 9.1 one-click installer Windows7 64bit
Date
Re: Problem with the 9.1 one-click installer Windows7 64bit  (Brar Piening <brar@gmx.de>)
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I tried to install 9.1 on a Windows7 64bit machine but the installation hangs during the initdb process.

Looking at the taskmanager I could see that the installer script was waiting for icacls.exe to complete setting the
approriatepermissions on the data directory.

As I know that problems during initdb are usually a sign of some permission problems, I pre-created the data directory
andmanually changed the owner of that directory to be the one of the postgres service account (which is a *local* user,
nota domain user)

With the second attempt, the installer again hang during initdb. Checking the state using ProcessExplorer I could see
thatthe installer script was waiting for icacls.exe to set permissions for the user currently running the installer. It
wasrunning [icacls.exe "thomas"] instead of [icacls.exe "mydomain\thomas"] - although I have to admit that I don't know
ifthat would make a difference.

So I killed the iacls.exe and the script proceeded, just to hang at the next call to icacls.exe when it tried to set
theprivileges on the directory for the postgres user despite the fact that that user already was the owner and had full
controlover it. So I killed icacls.exe again and then the script finally finished without problems. The service was
registeredand successully started.

UAC is turned off on my computer.

Btw: is there a way to run the one-click installer *without* the automatically running initdb?

I did not have these problems on the same computer with the 9.0 installer - the only difference is that I installed the
32bitversion of 9.0, while I know decided to use the 64bit version. Could that make a difference?

Regards
Thomas