Re: Which gives good performance? separate database vs separate schema - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Thomas Kellerer
Subject Re: Which gives good performance? separate database vs separate schema
Date
List pgsql-performance
Divakar Singh, 25.11.2010 12:37:
> Hello Friends,
> I have many instances of my software running on a server (Solaris SPARC). Each software instance requires some DB
tables(same DDL for all instances' tables) to store data.
> It essentially means that some processes from each instance of the software connect to these tables.
> Now, should I put these tables in 1 Database's different schemas or in separate databases itself for good
performance?
> I am using libpq for connection.

I don't think it will make a big difference in performance.

The real question is: do you need queries that "cross boundaries"? If that is the case you have to use schema, because
Postgresdoes not support cross-database queries.

Regards
Thomas