Move PG installation to a new computer - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Kellerer
Subject Move PG installation to a new computer
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I'm getting a new notebook and want to confirm that my idea on how to move my Postgres installation will work This is a
development/testinstallation and not a production system, so it doesn't need to be 100% fail safe.

Both systems are Windows XP 32bit.

My plan was to install the same PG release (8.3) on the new computer, skip the initdb task during installation, but let
theinstaller create the necessary service pointing to an empty data directory. Using the same OS user account.

Once the installation is finished, copy all files from the old datadir (after shutting down that postmaster) to the new
datadiras the PG Windows user, so that access right are setup correctly.

As both machines have the same OS and architecture my assumption is that this should work.
Or am I mistaken?

Thanks
Thomas