Re: Separate Sessions?? (View data <-> Query tool) - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Csaba Együd
Subject Re: Separate Sessions?? (View data <-> Query tool)
Date
List pgadmin-support
""Dave Page"" <dpage@pgadmin.org> a következoket írta üzenetében
On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 10:17 AM, Csaba Együd <csegyud@gmail.com> wrote:

> BTW, is it that weird way to define a session wide temp table storing some
> session specific information to generate e.g. views based on that? The
> only
> thing I wanted to have a more comfortable tool to modify a few fields in
> the
> table then having to compose SQL statements in the query tool. The problem
> is that my triggers refuse modifying a record if a given Temp table is not
> created before, because one or more fields have their default values from
> that temp table.

The does sound odd.

> I agree that running an SQL before viewing data in table view would be a
> bit
> silly. But I could think something like a new per server connection
> property
> in which I could define a single SQL sentence which would be automatically
> run after a connection is successfully established. It could be like modem
> initialization commands or something like that. Of course it could be
> empty
> by default...

One of the problems is that pgAdmin sets up connections as it requires
to make things work correctly. Allowing arbitrary commands to be run
could easily break that - for example; if you changed the client
encoding. Additionally, it's not always obvious what connection will
be used unless you're pretty familiar with the way pgAdmin works
internally.

--
Dave Page