wait event docs - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Jeremy Schneider
Subject wait event docs
Date
List pgsql-www
The wait event information in PostgreSQL is very helpful for troubleshooting.  I always reference the PostgreSQL docs first, and when people ask me about wait events that where I send them first.  The list of wait events there is comprehensive, but the descriptions are a bit terse and often use vocabulary that requires some familiarity with the internals to understand.

AWS created some wait event documentation for Aurora with PostgreSQL compatibility which takes a slightly different approach.  It's a lot more words... but it tries to give useful suggestions about how to improve (or fix) the system when a particular wait event is encountered.

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonRDS/latest/AuroraUserGuide/AuroraPostgreSQL.Reference.html#AuroraPostgreSQL.Reference.Waitevents

Something like this would be really valuable for open source PostgreSQL too.  While somebody's personal blog is one solution, it doesn't seem wholly inappropriate to live on a community resource.  I'd be happy to seed the content and continue making updates it as I regularly helping people solve problems on open source community PostgreSQL (and hopefully others contribute too).

Could we create a new wiki page as a starting point, and we could draft up and maintain something there for a little while?  Maybe a place like https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Wait_Events ?

If it does turn out to be useful for a lot of people then maybe it could even get into the PG docs someday.  :)

-Jeremy

P.S. my wiki username is "Jer"  https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/User:Jer

--
Jeremy Schneider