Re: PostgreSQL 15 Beta 1 release announcement draft - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 15 Beta 1 release announcement draft
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 5/14/22 11:53, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Attached is a draft of the release announcement for the PostgreSQL 15
> Beta 1 release. The goal of this announcement is to raise awareness
> around many of the new features appearing in PostgreSQL 15 and to
> encourage people to test. The success of the PostgreSQL 15 GA depends
> heavily on people testing during the Beta period!
>
> Please review this announcement for feature description accuracy or if
> there is something omitted that should be highlighted. Note that we
> cannot highlight everything that is coming in PostgreSQL 15 (that is why
> we have the release notes), but are aiming to showcase features that are
> impactful and inspirational.
>
> Please provide feedback no later than 2022-05-19 0:00 AoE[1].

I think there needs to be mention that plpythonu and plpython2u  are
going away and there will only be plpython3u . Especially since in
current docs it says:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/plpython-python23.html

"The language named plpythonu implements PL/Python based on the default
Python language variant, which is currently Python 2. (This default is
independent of what any local Python installations might consider to be
their “default”, for example, what /usr/bin/python might be.) The
default will probably be changed to Python 3 in a distant future release
of PostgreSQL, depending on the progress of the migration to Python 3 in
the Python community."

This is going to catch people by surprise. A heads up in the release
announcement will mitigate that.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com