Re: [HACKERS] pg_dump ignoring information_schema tables which usedin Create Publication. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: [HACKERS] pg_dump ignoring information_schema tables which usedin Create Publication.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 5/25/17 22:45, Robert Haas wrote:
> I guess I'm not convinced that it's really the same.  I think we want
> to allow users to create views over system objects; our life might be
> easier if we hadn't permitted that, but views over e.g. pg_locks are
> common, and prohibiting them doesn't seem like a reasonable choice.
> I'm less clear that we want to let them publish system objects.  Aside
> from the pg_dump issues, does it work?

The confusion in this discussion is exactly that there are multiple
definitions of what a "system object" might be.

You cannot publish a system catalog.  But a user-created table in
information_schema is not a system catalog.