Re: Future Non-server Windows support??? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From George Neuner
Subject Re: Future Non-server Windows support???
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, 03 Mar 2019 08:30:48 +0100, Laurenz Albe
<laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> wrote:

>Bill Haught wrote:
>> My main concern is that Microsoft has Enterprise versions of Windows and
>> versions for everything else which makes me wonder if at some point
>> Windows versions for desktop use may not have features needed by some
>> database applications or differences between the versions may be enough
>> to necessitate slight tweaks to code and compiling additional versions.
>
>Speaking as a semi-ignorant, I had the impressions that all Windows versions
>are pretty similar under the hood (with occasional annoying behavior changes),
>and most of the differences are on the GUI level, while the C API is pretty
>much the same.
>
>Yours,
>Laurenz Albe

Server versions are optimized for running background services rather
than interactive programs.  I don't know all the differences offhand,
but I do know the servers use different algorithms (not just settings)
for scheduling, memory management, and file caching.

It isn't possible to tweak a Windows desktop into a server with just
settings - the server actually is running (at least some) different
code.

George