Re: Adding column comment to information_schema.columns - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jochem van Dieten
Subject Re: Adding column comment to information_schema.columns
Date
Re: Adding column comment to information_schema.columns  (Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl@familyhealth.com.au>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 14:57:18 +0300, Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee> wrote:

> IIRC we were recently told (in this thread) that the SQL standard tells
> to end local customisations with underscore, so it would be
> 'column_comment_'

I didn't write that (or at least, I didn't mean to write that :-). The
SQL standard tells that they will not use trailing underscores,
therefore *my* conclusion is that it is future proof (from a standards
perspective) if all PostgreSQL extensions use a trailing underscore.
Which also gives an indication to the user that it is a PostgreSQL
extension.

"NOTE 77 - It is the intention that no <key word> specified in ISO/IEC
9075 or revisions thereto shall end with an <underscore>."
ISO/IEC 9075-2:2003   5.4   Names and Identifiers

Jochem