Re: Russian translations - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Ivan E. Panchenko
Subject Re: Russian translations
Date
Re: Russian translations  (Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>)
List pgsql-www
Иван Евгеньевич Панченко
Postgres Professional
the Russian PostgreSQL Company
+79104339846

23.08.2016 23:37, Stefan Kaltenbrunner пишет:
> On 08/23/2016 10:12 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 10:09 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us
>> <mailto:bruce@momjian.us>> wrote:
>>
>>      On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 10:53:58AM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>      >     Presently, we want to restrict the commercial use of the Russian
>>      >     translation. It means that the text is not BSD-licensed, and cannot be
>>      >     freely included in any commercial products. Magnus, do you consider this
>>      >     acceptable in the sense of your comments?
>>      >
>>      >
>>      >
>>      > I don't have a problem with such restrictions, but I think it would be good to
>>      > clarify what it exactly means.
>>      >
>>      > For example, can a russian speaker use the documentation if he's giving
>>      > postgresql training? Does it make a difference if he prints the documentation
>>      > and uses it vs uses it online?
>>
>>      Uh, I think we need to step back here.  First, anyone can add a more
>>      restrictive copyright to our docs, even in English, as long as they
>>      retain our copyright notice.
>>
>>      Second, the website has been updated as requested.
>>
>>      However, I don't know what a "commercial purposes" restriction means.
>>      It is vague for software use, and even vaguer for documentation.
>>
>>      I understand Postgres Pro had to invest resources to do the translation,
>>      and understand their desire to restrict access.  However, I think we
>>      need to be clear on exactly what those restrictions are if we are going
>>      to keep a link from our website.
>>

>> We are not. We are already linking, that part is taken care of. As a
>> general rule I think it'd be good if these things are clarified for
>> visitors there though, but that's independent of us linking to it.
> fwiw - as the one who actually commited the change, I did consider the
> fact that the linked to website looked a "tad" too commercial but we
> link to commercial places all over the place on the website anyway.
> In general I'm very glad we have russian translation of the docs and the
> better we can make the linked-to page the happier I'm.
>

>> And actually, I think the web changes haven't been made.  We had an
>> example that looks great. Or is it that we should update the link to
>> point to the new suggested url (adding the postgresql suffix)? I sort of
>> lost track of that part, but that should be an easy fix if that's going
>> to be a permanent URL.
>
> yeah that would be very good to know.
Please look at https://postgrespro.ru/docs/postgresql . This is the
correct url for the russian docs translation.
We've made it much less commercial, and I hope now it satisties all the
community requirements.

Ivan