Re: H2 database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Emanuel Calvo Franco
Subject Re: H2 database
Date
List pgsql-general
2009/1/6 Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 1:16 AM, Pascal Cohen <pcohen@wimba.com> wrote:
>> Hello and best wishes for this new year.
>> I have a question concerning the H2 DB.
>> http://www.h2database.com/html/main.html
>> I've read (on their site) that they got better perfs than PG or MySQL in any
>> case (embedded in a Java application and even as a standalone server).
>> Tests seem a bit "light" with a single thread benchmarking the DB but the
>> results seem anyway interesting.

I see many benchs that say a *database is better than the most popular
(velneo,h2,
db4, etc). But if all of the benchs was 100% really the most popular
was disapear too
many year ago :)

> So, in other words, it's not really that interesting.  :)  How well a
> db runs with a single thread really doesn't mean a lot unless you're
> only using it for single user embedded or batch processing.  I'd like
> to see a simple pgbench style (i.e. mixed reads and writes with
> transactions) benchmark with 5, 10, 50, 100 users, etc...  That would
> tell you something interesting.  Since they haven't published a
> benchmark with > 1 user, I'm willing to bet that the performance with
>> 1 users is not so good, and gets worse as you add users.
>
> http://tweakers.net/reviews/649/8/database-test-sun-ultrasparc-t1-vs-punt-amd-opteron-pagina-8.html

It's really  interesting link.

In adding, not so only 1 user. What happends if these user make more
complex works...
i don't know what's the behavior that could get mysql in front
postgres or others.