Re: Non-personal blogs on Planet - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Subject Re: Non-personal blogs on Planet
Date
Re: Non-personal blogs on Planet  (Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>)
List pgsql-www
On 26/02/2020 00:39, Vik Fearing wrote:
> On 26/02/2020 00:27, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>> On 2/24/20 9:01 AM, Vik Fearing wrote:
>>> The case I'm interested in, is allowing conferences to post as
>>> themselves and not as any particular organizer.
>> One of the main reasons we have the policy in place is to ensure there
>> is a person attached to the content. It does help to reduce the risk of
>> Planet becoming an advertising/spam feed and IMV, it helps to drive
>> higher quality content knowing that someone has to put their name on
>> what is being syndicated.
>>
>> That's a long way of saying that I'm -1 for changing the policy :)
> Hmm.  Do we not have a way of removing problematic blogs from planet?
> We should fix that, and then we can revisit this policy.

Indeed posts can already be removed, and so can entire blogs. There
is an anti-spam policy in place.

Instead of fighting spam with "tie content to persons", I rather see a
content policy. Not as strict as postings to -announce, but something
which can limit what can be posted, and how often.

Right now, if someone plays by the established rules, nothing prevents
this person from posting about every single minor release of a tool.
Heck, it's not even against policy to post every commit message as
a blog post. Clearly the existing policy/strategy is only good as long
as no one starts using loop holes.

Advertising is already forbidden by the existing rules, so this can't be
an issue. 2 strikes, and the problem is gone.

I don't see why this policy can't be expanded to allow certain content
posted under, let's say, community accounts. This can be conferences
and PostgreSQL related tools. That should already be the majority.

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group