Re: Getting a move on for 8.2 beta - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Lukas Kahwe Smith
Subject Re: Getting a move on for 8.2 beta
Date
Re: Getting a move on for 8.2 beta  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:

> For example I have no expertise in coding on Postgres, but I think I
> would be able to collect information from this mailinglist (like specs,
> url's etc.) and put them in some issue tracker or wiki. I have done
> exactly the same for PHP [1] (though there are rarely specs thrown
> around in PHP, so my PHP todo list is not much more than a simple bullet
> list of todo's with a name and occasional URL's to additional information).

Actually I should add that I went ahead and created the PHP todo list on
my own, without any official blessing and one by one internals developer
have joined. Now its actively used in the entire release process.

This is probably the best approach to go about doing this for PostgreSQL
as well. That way there is no additional work, and instead it can show
if it actually helps people. And if it does more people will start to
contribute to it. If not then someone who did not contribute to the code
anyways wasted a bit of time to get to know the PostgreSQL todo items
really well. ;)

regards,
Lukas