Re: Getting a move on for 8.2 beta - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Getting a move on for 8.2 beta
Date
Re: Getting a move on for 8.2 beta  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
Lukas Kahwe Smith <smith@pooteeweet.org> writes:
>> For example I have no expertise in coding on Postgres, but I think I
>> would be able to collect information from this mailinglist (like specs,
>> url's etc.) and put them in some issue tracker or wiki. I have done
>> exactly the same for PHP [1] (though there are rarely specs thrown
>> around in PHP, so my PHP todo list is not much more than a simple bullet
>> list of todo's with a name and occasional URL's to additional information).

> Actually I should add that I went ahead and created the PHP todo list on
> my own, without any official blessing and one by one internals developer
> have joined. Now its actively used in the entire release process.

> This is probably the best approach to go about doing this for PostgreSQL
> as well.

I agree.  Look at the most successful recent process change around here:
the buildfarm.  Andrew Dunstan took it upon himself to make that happen.
He built it, and they came.

No bug/issue tracker, or anything else, is going to be successful unless
somebody commits enough time to make it so.  I've noted a whole lot of
enthusiasm for having a tracker in these recent discussions, but a
remarkable shortage of individuals stepping up to do the work.