Re: Stale description for pg_basebackup - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fujii Masao
Subject Re: Stale description for pg_basebackup
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 2021/04/22 9:25, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
>> What about the following description?
>>
>> -------------------
>> When you are using -X none, if write activity on the primary is low,
>> pg_basebackup may need to wait a long time for all WAL files required
>> for
>> the backup to be archived. It may be useful to run pg_switch_wal
>> on the primary in order to trigger an immediate WAL file switch and
>> archiving.
>> -------------------
>
> Looks far better.

Patch attached. I appended the following description to assist
users to understand why pg_basebackup may need wait a long time
when write activity is low on the primary.

pg_basebackup cannot force the standby to switch to
a new WAL file at the end of backup.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao