Re: Poor overall performance unless regular VACUUM FULL - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From David Wilson
Subject Re: Poor overall performance unless regular VACUUM FULL
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Wayne Conrad<wayne@databill.com> wrote:
> Howdy.  Some months back, when advised on one of these lists that it
> should not be necessary to issue VACUUM FULL/REINDEX DATABASE, we quit
> this nightly "maintenance" practice.  We've been very happy to not
> have to do that, since it locked the database all night.  Since then,
> however, our database performance has decreased.  The decrease took a
> few weeks to become noticable; perhaps six weeks to become awful.

 <snip>

> I did a VACUUM VERBOSE and looked at the statistics at the end; they
> seem to indicated that my max_fsm_pages is large enough to keep track
> of all of the dead rows that are being created (we do a fair amount of
> deleting as well as inserting).  Postgres prints no complaint saying
> we need more slots, and we have more than the number of slots needed
> (if I recall, about twice as many).
>
> What options do I have for restoring performance other than VACUUM
> FULL/REINDEX DATABASE?

Do you have autovacuum on, or otherwise replaced your VACUUM FULL with
regular VACUUM? The symptoms are pretty classically those of table
bloat. Since it's gotten so out of hand now, a VACUUM FULL/REINDEX is
probably what you'll need to fix it.

Going forward, you need *some* vacuuming strategy. Autovacuum is
probably best, especially if you're on 8.3. If not autovacuum for some
reason, you *must* at least do regular vacuums.

Vacuum full/reindex is for fixing the situation you're in now, but a
regular vacuum strategy should prevent you from getting back into it.

--
- David T. Wilson
david.t.wilson@gmail.com