Re: 12.2: Why do my Redo Logs disappear?? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: 12.2: Why do my Redo Logs disappear??
Date
List pgsql-general
On 6/8/20 6:38 PM, Peter wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 08, 2020 at 05:40:20PM -0700, Peter Geoghegan wrote:

> And now for the nitpicking part :)
>
> On Mon, Jun 08, 2020 at 05:35:40PM -0700, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>
> ! > I am doing RedoLog Archiving according to Docs Chapter 25.1.
> !
> ! There is no ReDo logging, there is WAL logging.
>
> Yes I know - and i don't care. Technically they're no longer WAL when
> they're going to be archived. Their purpose then becomes to redo the

Not according to the section you are referring to:

25.3.1. Setting Up WAL Archiving

Redoing is the process of replaying the WAL logs.

> Ups, mistake of mine. Should be 25.3.1.

> And which of these would be of any concern if the machine is rebooted
> anyway?
>
> I had to install new hardware, and currently I'm trying to identify
> a memory exhaustion issue. This makes it necessary to reboot the full
> system quite often, and I neither want to wait for orderly termination
> of dozens of subsytems, nor do I want to need fsck at restart. This
> would make SIGKILL/reboot the method of choice.

That is your prerogative, just not sure it is conducive to the health of
your system.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com