Re: Source code in .tar.xz format? - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Source code in .tar.xz format?
Date
List pgsql-www
On 12/10/2018 12:34, Steven Winfield wrote:
> Have you considered making xz-compressed source tarballs available in
> file browser (https://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source)?
>
> The tarfile for v11rc1 compresses to 15.5MB (with -9) - nearly half the
> size of the gzip-compressed file that is currently on the browser.
>
> Modern versions of tar will automatically decompress .tar.xz files with
> the usual “tar -xf <filename>” invocation.

My records show that this had been discussed about 5 years ago.  The
idea was to drop bz2 and add xz.  The problem was that older operating
systems (such as CentOS 5 and perhaps older Solaris) don't support xz,
so that would negatively affect some platforms.

In the meantime, people are already moving on from xz to lz ...