Re: [pgsql-advocacy] How to convince people to choose PostgreSQL overMySQL? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] How to convince people to choose PostgreSQL overMySQL?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 06/15/2017 05:28 PM, Stephen Cook wrote:

> I'm not just being grumpy here. I have convinced clients to switch from
> MySQL to PostgreSQL, and since this happened I have to explain every
> time there is a new hire that they can download the broken-unsupported
> version or the broken-by-design version, or find something else on the
> internet at their leisure. When the next client is getting the
> "PostgreSQL is better" speech, am I supposed to praise the benefits of
> just using the command line? It makes the whole ecosystem look bad, from
> the "people who wear suits and pay for everything" perspective. As an
> advocate (to my clients at least) it makes me look bad.

You aren't wrong. At CMD we run into it all the time. We run into it all
the time and although I have nothing to say bad about PgAdmin4 (because
I literally have never used it except install and launch), I have
received fairly negative feedback about it.

What I find is this:

1. If they are a Linux desktop house, they are usually just fine using
psql or even PgAdmin3. There is even an LTS version[1] from OpenSCG that
makes sure that it works with newer versions of PostgreSQL.

2. If they are a Mac or Windows house, I point them to commercial
solutions because frankly, they are better than anything the community
has ever released (or likely will ever).

Remember, we are BSD based, commercial software is just fine. We should
be about the spread of the PostgreSQL pollen and not tie ourselves to
any particular solution (Open Source or not).

* https://www.navicat.com/en/products/navicat-for-postgresql
* https://www.sqlmanager.net/en/products/postgresql/manager
* https://www.microolap.com/products/database/postgresql-designer/

I have also heard very good things about this:

* https://github.com/pgmodeler/pgmodeler

Sincerely,

JD

1. https://bitbucket.org/openscg/pgadmin3-lts

                         +1-503-667-4564
Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.