Re: Why pgAdmin III guru suggests VACUUM in 8.1 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrus
Subject Re: Why pgAdmin III guru suggests VACUUM in 8.1
Date
List pgsql-general
> FWIW, people generally refer to that as 'loading data'; I've never heard
> of 'upsizing' before, which is why I was somewhat confused.

I'm sorry.
I defined upsizing as creating new postgres database from some other
database data.

Google search for upsize returns the titles :

Upsize your Access database with SQL Server Data Transformation ...
Microsoft Office Assistance: Upsize your Microsoft Access database
Prestwood MS SQL 2000 Upsize Kit, buy, purchase

It seems that this term is used in Microsoft desktop databases (FoxPro,
Access) for moving them to the SQL server. Both of them have upsizing
wizards.
So it is term created by Microsoft only.

>> I'm using PG 8.1 default postgres.conf file.
>
> Well, by default autovacuum is turned off. Aside from that there's other
> things you'll want to tune. Take a look at the annotated postgresql.conf
> that's in techdocs.

No. autovacuum is turned ON by default in 8.1 XP

I read from the docs you mentioned that Postgres has low maintenance needs
compared to other databases. So I'm expecting that there is no need to tune
something.

>> I read than autovacuum may skip some tables which can cause wrong guru
>> hints.
>>
>> So it seems that I should run manually VACUUM ANALYZE for the whole
>> database
>> once for initial statistics colection of those tables, isn't it?
>
> No real need to vacuum, just running analyze on the entire database
> would suffice.

Thank you. I now send ANALYZE command to Postgres after data loading is
completed.

Andrus.