Re: Why pgAdmin III guru suggests VACUUM in 8.1 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: Why pgAdmin III guru suggests VACUUM in 8.1
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 04:56:58PM +0200, Andrus wrote:
> No. autovacuum is turned ON by default in 8.1 XP

Hrm, interesting that it's different than on Unix.

> I read from the docs you mentioned that Postgres has low maintenance needs
> compared to other databases. So I'm expecting that there is no need to tune
> something.

Initial tuning != maintenance. Many of PostgreSQL's default settings are
extremely conservative and will benefit from being increased on almost
any hardware. There's extensive discussion of this to be found in the
pgsql-performance archives, but take a look at shared_buffers and
work_memory at a minimum.