Re: Verify Option with pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Howard News
Subject Re: Verify Option with pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-general
On 30/11/2016 12:27, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> You can try to suitably combine "pg_dump --format=plain" with
> "tee" and "md5sum" such that the output stream is diverted to
> both a file and a pipe-into-CRC-algorithm and eventually
> compare the pipe's sum with the sum generated from the file.
>
> But the better solution might be to stream to a filesystem
> that verifies disk writes immediately. Or to a suitable RAID
> array.
>
> Regards,
> Karsten
Thanks for this info Karsten. I will look into using "tee". As a matter
of interest, why does the format need to be plain?

Regarding the filesystem solution, the dump is currently written to a HP
RAID 10 array with an NTFS partition. What filesystems / raid arrays
have this ability?

Thanks.