Why doesn't this query work? Puzzle to hard for me to crack - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From sdger erger
Subject Why doesn't this query work? Puzzle to hard for me to crack
Date
List pgsql-novice
This query works as I want it to:

SELECT sum(cutoffuohands) AS HANDS, sum(cutoffuopfr) AS pfr
FROM compiledplayerresultspositionaction
JOIN compiledresults
ON compiledplayerresultspositionaction.compiledplayer results_id = compiledresults.compiledplayerresults_id
JOIN players
ON compiledresults.player_id = players.player_id
WHERE playername = 'Robert'

It returns the number of "cutoffuohands" and the number of "cutoffuopfr" for the player Robert.

But this similar query does not work as I want it to do:

SELECT sum(cutoffuohands) AS HANDS, sum(cutoffuopfr) AS pfr
FROM compiledplayerresultspositionaction
JOIN compiledresults
ON compiledplayerresultspositionaction.compiledplayer results_id = compiledresults.compiledplayerresults_id
JOIN players
ON compiledresults.player_id = players.player_id
WHERE playername = 'Robert'

I want it to return all the "cutoffuohands" and "cutoffuopfr" for all players not named Robert. But it returns unreasonable numbers.

Unfortunately I don't know much about the inner workings of the database and unfortunately I'm only a novice with SQL so I haven't been able to figure out how to fix the second query. I hope you guys here on the mailing list can take a lot at this and see if you can figure it out.

Thanks!