Re: RAID card recommendation - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: RAID card recommendation
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 1:59 PM, Jochen Erwied
<jochen@pgsql-performance.erwied.eu> wrote:
> Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 9:05:28 PM you wrote:
>
>> Have you searched the -performance archives for references to them?
>> I'm not that familiar with Adaptec RAID controllers.  Not requiring a
>> battery check / replacement is nice.
>
> Either I searched for the wrong terms, or there isn't really that much
> reference on RAID-controllers on this list. Aberdeen is menthioned once and
> looks interesting, but I didn't find a reseller in Germany. As far as I see
> from the list, Promise and Adaptec both seem to be not too bad choices.

Aberdeen is the builder I use.  They'll put any card in you want
(within reason) including our preference here, Areca.  Perhaps you
meant Areca?

>> So, assuming this means an 8 hour work day for ~20M rows, you're
>> looking at around 700 per second.
>
> It's an automated application running 24/7, so I require 'only' about
> 200-250 updates per second.

Oh, much better.  A decent hardware RAID controller with battery
backed cache could handle that load with a pair of spinning 15k drives
in RAID-1 probably.

>> Another option might be a JBOD box attached to the machine that holds
>> 12 or so 2.5" 15k like the hitachi ultrastar 147G 2.5" drives.  This
>> sounds like a problem you need to be able to throw a lot of drives at
>> at one time.  Is it likely to grow much after this?
>
> JBOD in an external casing would be an alternative, especially when using
> an external case. And no, the database will not grow too much after
> reaching its final size.

Yeah, if it's not gonna grow a lot more after the 2B rows, then you
probably won't need an external case.