Re: RAID card recommendation - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Dave Crooke
Subject Re: RAID card recommendation
Date
List pgsql-performance
The problem with RAID-5 or RAID-6 is not the normal speed operation, it's the degraded performance when there is a drive failure. This includes read-only scenarios. A DB server getting any kind of real use will effectively appear to be down to client apps if it loses a drive from that RAID set.

Basically, think of RAID-5/6 as RAID-0 but with much slower writes, and a way to recover the data without going to backup tapes if there is a disc loss. It is NOT a solution for staying up in case of a failure.

Presumably, there is a business reason that you're thinking of using RAID-5/6 with hardware RAID and maybe a hot spare, rather than software RAID-0 which would save you 2-3 spindles of formatted capacity, plus the cost of the RAID card. Whatever that reason is, it's also a reason to use RAID-10.

If you absolutely need it to fit in 2U of rack space, you can get a 2U server with a bunch of 2.5" spindles and with 24x 500GB SATA you can get the same formatted size with RAID-10; or you can use an external SAS expander to put additional 3.5" drives in another enclosure.

If we're taking rackmount server RAID card votes, I've had good experiences with the LSI 8888 under Linux.

Cheers
Dave