Re: Master/Slave, DB separation or just spend $$$? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Master/Slave, DB separation or just spend $$$?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 1:52 AM, Kelvin Quee<kelvinq@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> Thanks for the quick reply.
>
> I have been staring at *top* for a while and it's mostly been 40% in
> userspace and 30% in system. Wait is rather low and never ventures
> beyond 1%.
>
> My hardware is a duo core AMD Athlon64 X2 5000+, 1GB RAM and a single
> 160 GB SATA II hard disk drive.

So I take it you're on a tight budget then?  I'm guessing you could
put a single quad core cpu and 8 Gigs of ram in place for a reasonable
price.  I'd highly recommend setting up at least software RAID-1 for
increased reliability.

> I will go look at Slony now.

Might be overkill if you can get by on a single reasonably powerful machine.

> Scott, one question though - If my master is constantly changing,
> wouldn't the updates from the master to the slave also slow down the
> slave?

Yes it will, but the overhead for the slave is much less than the master.