Re: running postgresql on a private machine accessing it from public web pages - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: running postgresql on a private machine accessing it from public web pages
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 12:23 PM, Keith D. Evans <evans@umbc.edu> wrote:
> We usually run postgresql on a private machine (gravity) but due to space,
> we have moved the database to a different machine through afs (a local

Wait, the whole database, including a postmaster running on the other
machine?  Or just that you're storing the database files there.  Where
the files are stored is inconsequential, except as applies to
reliability.  Where the postmaster lives is all that matters.

> network at the university). We do not want the private machine to be
> accessible to outside users, so our web pages are on the university's public
> web pages.

I assume you have php on the public web servers.

> They have mysql, but won't install postgresql, which we've been
> using on gravity for years.

Fine, there's really no great reason to install PostgreSQL on the same
machines that are running web pages anyway.  As long as those machines
can reach you pgsql server you're gold.

> We want to add a database where users can get and plot data using php over
> the internet. But since the public computers don't have postgresql, can we
> have postgresql running on gravity allowing users accessing through the
> internet on the public pages to access the data?

Yeah, you want some kind of connection opened up between those
machines that let's pgsql get through.  You can use an ssh tunnel, a
vpn, or something else if you can't get a direct route opened up by
the network guys for security reasons.  If you'll have to go through a
machine to get to the pgsql machine, look up two hop ssh tunnel, it's
pretty easy.

But I wonder why they won't install pgsql for you.  Maybe they're
afraid of it raising their workload too much?  If you offer to feed it
and take care of it, maybe they'll let you.