Re: partition question for new server setup - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: partition question for new server setup
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 11:48 AM, Whit Armstrong
<armstrong.whit@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, Scott.
>
> Just to clarify you said:
>
>> postgres.  So, my pg_xlog and all OS and logging stuff goes on the
>> RAID-10 and the main store for the db goes on the RAID-10.
>
> Is that meant to be that the pg_xlog and all OS and logging stuff go
> on the RAID-1 and the real database (the
> /var/lib/postgresql/8.3/main/base directory) goes on the RAID-10
> partition?

Yeah, and extra 0 jumped in there.  Faulty keyboard I guess. :)  OS
and everything but base is on the RAID-1.

> This is very helpful.  Thanks for your feedback.
>
> Additionally are there any clear choices w/ regard to filesystem
> types?  Our choices would be xfs, ext3, or ext4.

Well, there's a lot of people who use xfs and ext3.  XFS is generally
rated higher than ext3 both for performance and reliability.  However,
we run Centos 5 in production, and XFS isn't one of the blessed file
systems it comes with, so we're running ext3.  It's worked quite well
for us.