Re: php4 and postgresql 8.3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: php4 and postgresql 8.3
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 6:35 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>>
>> shadrack <shadkeene@hotmail.com> writes:
>>

>>> My basic question is...are php4 and postgresql 8.3 compatible?
>>> I'm running Linux Redhat 3.4.6, php4.3.9, and postgresql 8.3.  I know,
>>> some of those versions are old...its government, and I unfortunately
>>> don't have control over the version.
>>>

>> Er ... Red Hat *what*?  I don't think they ever used such a version
>> number.  If they did it was a very long time ago (for calibration,
>> they were just about to release RHL 7.3 when I joined the company,
>> in 2001).
>

> well, remember, they went Red Hat Linux 7.x, 8.x, 9 then very quickly
> switched to Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2, 2.1, 3, 4, and currently RHEL 5.
> RHEL 3 has had several quarterly updates, most recent of which is u9(I
> think), sometimes referred to as 3.9.
>
> if its RHEL 3 update-something that shadrack is discussing, it came with php
> 4.3.2 and rh-postgresql 7.3.21 (shudder!)

I wonder if the people making this decision are familiar with this
document at redhat:

https://www.redhat.com/security/updates/errata/

Which pretty much says that RHEL3 is on its last legs, will get only
security updates, and may get individual bug fixes if they're really
severe.

So, when some PHP bug means you can't do something you need to do in
production, you get no help from RedHat.  They've got other customers
to worry about.

Once RHEL is in the third of three phases of release, it's intended to
be maintained, not used for fresh new projects etc...

Somebody's conservatism is gonna cost the OP a LOT of time and effort.