Re: Problems with Timezones in Australia - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Problems with Timezones in Australia
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 10:23 AM, Roderick A. Anderson <raanders@acm.org> wrote:
> Scott Marlowe wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 8:52 AM, Roderick A. Anderson <raanders@acm.org>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Tom Lane wrote:
>>> CentOS 5 -- three, four, or maybe more, updates this year so far.  :-)
>>>
>>> Is there a way to determine from a binary install (Devrim GÜNDÜZ's rpms)
>>> if
>>> it uses the system timezone data or the build-in copy?  Heck I'll just
>>> look
>>> at the src rpm.
>>
>> Centos (i.e RHEL) definitely updates tzdata.  I'm pretty sure the PGDG
>> rpms use the built in tzdata.
>
> Thanks Scott.  I was pretty sure of this but I've never had a reason or
> excuse to test or even think about it.  Well so far.  Murphy's Law is bound
> to come into play real soon.  :-)

I run pg 8.3.3 (update to 8.3.4 is planned in the next week or so) on
centos 5.2 myself.  While a lot of packages, including other dbs, make
some insane changes mid stream on stable releases, pgsql generally
doesn't.  Big changes only happen when the new major version comes
out, so keeping up to date is a pretty safe bet on pgsql.