Re: Problems with Timezones in Australia - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Ayliffe
Subject Re: Problems with Timezones in Australia
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi All,

I was in fact out-of-date with patches, and have fixed that - which has brought the zone files up to date.

Will definitely be looking to upgrade all servers to 8.3 at some stage soon - all about scheduling outages and testing code before we do...

Thanks for everyone's help appreciate it.

Cheers,

Craig

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 3:29 AM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 10:23 AM, Roderick A. Anderson <raanders@acm.org> wrote:
> Scott Marlowe wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 8:52 AM, Roderick A. Anderson <raanders@acm.org>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Tom Lane wrote:
>>> CentOS 5 -- three, four, or maybe more, updates this year so far.  :-)
>>>
>>> Is there a way to determine from a binary install (Devrim GÜNDÜZ's rpms)
>>> if
>>> it uses the system timezone data or the build-in copy?  Heck I'll just
>>> look
>>> at the src rpm.
>>
>> Centos (i.e RHEL) definitely updates tzdata.  I'm pretty sure the PGDG
>> rpms use the built in tzdata.
>
> Thanks Scott.  I was pretty sure of this but I've never had a reason or
> excuse to test or even think about it.  Well so far.  Murphy's Law is bound
> to come into play real soon.  :-)

I run pg 8.3.3 (update to 8.3.4 is planned in the next week or so) on
centos 5.2 myself.  While a lot of packages, including other dbs, make
some insane changes mid stream on stable releases, pgsql generally
doesn't.  Big changes only happen when the new major version comes
out, so keeping up to date is a pretty safe bet on pgsql.