Re: psql vs. pgadmin3 was:can't get UPDATE ... RETURNING ... INTO ... to compile successfully - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: psql vs. pgadmin3 was:can't get UPDATE ... RETURNING ... INTO ... to compile successfully
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 10:28 AM, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
<mail@webthatworks.it> wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 18:34:53 -0600
> "Scott Marlowe" <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Glad you got your problem resolved.  I have to admit I tend to
>> mostly use psql to interact with postgres.  Nothing against
>> PGAdmin III, it's good software.  I just tend to feel more comfy
>> scripting things than clicking things.  Whether you're using
>> pgadmin III or psql, it's important that you have the right
>> version.  For pgadmin it's usually best to always have the latest
>> version, and with psql the one that matches your db.
>
> Is there any secret I don't know?
> I mostly use pgadmin because:
> 1) It is easier to cut and paste code and results

I use /i /o a lot.  poor man's cut and paste / multi-file buffer.
also highlight / middle button click.

> 2) It's easier to open several connections

I just use multiple term windows

> 3) you've the object structure to navigate

that's the main reason I'd find myself using it.