psql vs. pgadmin3 was:can't get UPDATE ... RETURNING ... INTO ... to compile successfully - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
Subject psql vs. pgadmin3 was:can't get UPDATE ... RETURNING ... INTO ... to compile successfully
Date
Re: psql vs. pgadmin3 was:can't get UPDATE ... RETURNING ... INTO ... to compile successfully  (Marc Balmer <marc@msys.ch>)
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 18:34:53 -0600
"Scott Marlowe" <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:

> Glad you got your problem resolved.  I have to admit I tend to
> mostly use psql to interact with postgres.  Nothing against
> PGAdmin III, it's good software.  I just tend to feel more comfy
> scripting things than clicking things.  Whether you're using
> pgadmin III or psql, it's important that you have the right
> version.  For pgadmin it's usually best to always have the latest
> version, and with psql the one that matches your db.

Is there any secret I don't know?
I mostly use pgadmin because:
1) It is easier to cut and paste code and results
2) It's easier to open several connections
3) you've the object structure to navigate

But I miss psql auto completion.

I know I can call an external editor that would make cut&paste
easier in psql but I'll lose autocompletion and I've had some issues
with pgadmin search&replace and regexp, so I definitively would
enjoy psql more... but what about the rest?

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it