Re: Filesystem benchmarking for pg 8.3.3 server - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Filesystem benchmarking for pg 8.3.3 server
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 6:08 AM, Henrik <henke@mac.se> wrote:

>>> Maybe the RAID 10

>> It's possible.  We had a bunch of perc/5i SAS raid cards in our servers
>> that performed quite well in Raid 5 but were shite in Raid 10.  I switched
>> them out for Adaptec 5808s and saw a massive improvement in Raid 10.
>
> I suspected that. Maybe I should just put the PERC/6 cards in JBOD mode and
> then make a RAID10 with linux  software raid MD?

You can also try making mirror sets with the hardware RAID controller
and then doing SW RAID 0 on top of that.  Since RAID0 requires little
or no CPU overhead, this is a good compromise because the OS has the
least work to do, and the RAID controller is doing what it's probably
pretty good at, mirror sets.