Re: Distant mirroring - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From dforums
Subject Re: Distant mirroring
Date
Re: Distant mirroring  ("Scott Marlowe" <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-performance
Houlala

I got headache !!!

So please help...........;;

"Assuming they all happen from 9 to 5 and during business days only,
that's about 86 transactions per second.  Well within the realm of a
single mirror set to keep up if you don't make your db work real fat."

OK i like, But my reality is that to make an insert of a table that have
27 millions of entrance it took 200 ms.
so it took between 2 minutes and 10 minutes to treat 3000 records and
dispatch/agregate in other tables. And I have for now 20000 records
every 3 minutes.

At the moment I have a

I have a Linux 2.6.24.2-xxxx-std-ipv4-64 #3 SMP Tue Feb 12 12:27:47 CET
2008 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5355 @ 2.66GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
with 8Gb of memory. Using sata II disk in RAID 1 (I known that is bad,
but it would change has quickly I can).

I got 1-2 GO per week

I can change to 2 kinds of server, using 8.3.3 postgresql server, and
even taking more sever if need. But it is the biggest computer that I
can rent for now.

Intel  2x Xeon X5355
2x 4x 2.66 GHz
L2: 8Mo, FSB: 1333MHz
Double Quadruple Coeur
64 bits
12 Go FBDIMM DDR2
2x 147 Go
SAS 15 000 tr/min
RAID 1 HARD

I can add 500 Go under sataII

OR

Intel  2x Xeon X5355
2x 4x 2.66 GHz
L2: 8Mo, FSB: 1333MHz
Double Quadruple Coeur
64 bits
12 Go FBDIMM DDR2
5x 750 Go (2.8 To **)
SATA2 RAID HARD 5

I can add 500 Go under sataII

After several tunings, reading, ect...

The low speed seems to be definetly linked to the SATA II in RAID 1.

So I need a solution to be able to 1st supporting more transaction,
secondly I need to secure the data, and being able to load balancing the
charge.

Please, give me any advise or suggestion that can help me.

regards to all

David

--
<http://www.1st-affiliation.fr>