Re: Can´t connect but listen address and pg_hba configured correctly - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Can´t connect but listen address and pg_hba configured correctly
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 3:00 PM, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
<celoserpa@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for the replies,
>
> Actually I did not change the port number. For some bizarre reason, the
> pgsql 8.1 debian package comes with port 5433 pre-configured and this was
> exactly was causing the problem, of course, I wasn't noting that the port
> was different, but they are so similar (that's what happens when you have a
> stressful day of work..). I changed it to 5432 and everything went fine.
>
> Do you see how little changes can make a **big** difference. I wonder what
> was going through the head of the person who altered the port number for
> this release...

Actually, what debian and ubuntu do is allow you to have > 1 version
of pgsql installed at a time, and each version gets the next available
port.  So, it's likely your machine once had another version like 8.0
on it, and then had 8.1 added.