Re: top posting - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: top posting
Date
List pgsql-general
On Dec 11, 2007 1:01 PM, Collin Kidder <adderd@kkmfg.com> wrote:
> Scott Marlowe wrote:
> > On Dec 11, 2007 11:41 AM, Leif B. Kristensen <leif@solumslekt.org> wrote:
> >
> >> It certainly isn't a crime. But it's a bit like thread hijacking in the
> >> sense that a well-formed inline posting is more likely to attract
> >> intelligent replies. I don't think that I'm the only one who tends to
> >> skip top posting replies on mailing lists.
> >>

> > You're certainly not.  I can't tell you how many times I've carefully
> > replied to someone with inline quoting, only to get some top post
> > response.  I then ask them politely not to top post, fix the format,
> > reply, and get another top post reponse.
> >
> > At that point I just move on to the next thread.
> >
> I've already made it clear on this list that I would rather top post but
> I've been bottom posting because nothing in this world is more
> irritating than a pedantic computer nerd and well... this is a list
> about a database server...

I'll thank you for not making any personal attacks, and keeping the
list professional.  If you have something to say, you can say it
without insults.  At no time have I insulted you, I'd expect and
appreciate the same common courtesy.  If you can't do that, then I'd
ask you politely to not join in the conversation.  I don't come on
this list to be insulted.  I come on to help postgresql users figure
out their problems.

I'm not pedantic.  When discussing a complex problem, it can be very
difficult to keep track of the thread of discussion when people top
post replies back to me when I've carefully interleaved my response to
them.  I can't count the number of times that I could not tell what
part of my message they were replying to.  It's not pedantic.  It's
about keeping track  of what we're discussing.

> I have to suffer through dealing with people like the two of you quoted
> above. You can deal with people who'd like to top post. Anything else is
> just being a spoiled baby who can't deal with minor issues.

Again, please stop with the personal insults.  I am not a baby.  I am
a 43 year old adult who is fairly mature.  I don't come here to insult
or be insulted.

>  Sorry to be so blunt but it
> really irritates me when people cry like 4 year olds about top posting.
> It's not that bad, get over it.

Blunt is fine.  Insulting is not, and it's not called for.