Re: young guy wanting (Postgres DBA) ammo - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: young guy wanting (Postgres DBA) ammo
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11/2/07, Lew <lew@lwsc.ehost-services.com> wrote:
> Scott Marlowe wrote:
> > PostgreSQL is ... still not in the
> > same realm for really really big transactional sites, but man is it
> > geting close fast.
>
> I beg to differ.  All anecdotal evidence, and also Sun benchmarks with
> Postgres, show that it is not only "in the same realm" but can actually come
> out ahead.
> <http://www.spec.org/jAppServer2004/results/res2007q3/jAppServer2004-20070703-00073.html>
>
> <http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/database/soup/archives/postgresql-publishes-first-real-benchmark-17470>

I'll point out that the very article you're pointing me to, which I've
read before, btw, has this in it:

"Why pay more? As I said, almost as fast as Oracle. While the list of
Spec publications on affordable commodity hardware is sparse, there
are some. For example, the 874 JOpS@Standard on Oracle
10+Itanium+HP-UX. That's less than 15% faster than our PostgreSQL
publication. "

On commodity hardware, single image machines, PostgreSQL is a match
for Oracle.  On clustered hardware, Oracle still has a lead.