Re: young guy wanting (Postgres DBA) ammo - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lew
Subject Re: young guy wanting (Postgres DBA) ammo
Date
List pgsql-general
Scott Marlowe wrote:
> PostgreSQL is ... still not in the
> same realm for really really big transactional sites, but man is it
> geting close fast.

I beg to differ.  All anecdotal evidence, and also Sun benchmarks with
Postgres, show that it is not only "in the same realm" but can actually come
out ahead.
<http://www.spec.org/jAppServer2004/results/res2007q3/jAppServer2004-20070703-00073.html>

<http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/database/soup/archives/postgresql-publishes-first-real-benchmark-17470>

> This publication shows that a properly tuned
> PostgreSQL is not only as fast or faster than MySQL,
> but almost as fast as Oracle (since the hardware platforms
> are different, it's hard to compare directly).
> This is something we've been saying for the last 2 years, and now we can prove it.

There are links to the SPEC site which shows the tuning parameters.

--
Lew