Re: need help with rebuilding postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: need help with rebuilding postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
On 10/16/07, jooy <oldatum@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the input. Let me put it in this way:We are running a php
> site over postgresql database server. The name of database instance is
> FOIM. All of a sudden after Sunday, some guy hacked the system. We
> need rebuild the system. Now we have new-installed OS along with
> Postgres 7. Unfortunately, we don't have backup of database( we don't
> pg_dump FOIM). But we have a old hard drive which contains all files.
> Is it possible that we restore the FOIMl over file system level?
> -thanks

Yes, that's what we've been saying to do.

Copy the data off of the old drive onto your new machine in the same
place.  For a RH install of PG7.4 that will be in the /var/lib/pgsql
directory I believe.  Make sure everything in the dir is owned by
postgres on the new machine, and the perm on the /var/lib/pgsql dir is
0700 and try to start up the db (sudo /sbin/service postgresql start
for an rpm install)